Health & Wellness Center
The Health and Wellness Center’s clinic serves both First Day’s residents and clients from the wider community. It grew out of a 2004 study that found that 70% of First Day residents entered with serious health problems, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, seizures, multiple sclerosis, post-stroke impairment, and stomach ulcers. Simultaneously, 75% of clients identified the emergency room as their primary healthcare provider. Through funding from The California Endowment and the staff support of PIH Health, the clinic opened in January 2005, providing ongoing access to no-cost health services, preventative care, and education for underserved individuals.
Open Wednesday mornings, the clinic is staffed by a PIH Resident Physician and Medical Assistant and offers the following services:
- Initial health assessments
- Preventative health care, including immunizations and screenings for diabetes, hypertension, and other issues
- Treatment for acute medical issues, such as upper respiratory infections, lacerations, and strains/sprains
- Health education, including nutrition
- Referrals to community health resources, such as PIH’s Family Practice Clinic